COBALT BLUE TARANTULA (Haplopelma lividum) ©Gina
The cobalt blue tarantula is a tarantula species that is native to Myanmar and Thailand.
- The cobalt blue tarantula is a medium size tarantula with a leg span of approximately 13cm (5”).
- The cobalt blue tarantula is noted for its iridescent blue legs and light gray prosoma and opisthosoma, the latter of which may contain darker gray chevrons.
- Males and females look the same until the ultimate (final) molt of the males. At this point the male will exhibit sexual dimorphism in the form of a light tan or bronze coloration and legginess.
- Additionally males will gain embolus on the pedipalps and tibial apophysis (mating hooks).
- The cobalt blue tarantula is a fossorial species and spends nearly all of its time in deep burrows of its own construction, and generally only leave them to find food.
Fact Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_blue_tarantula
Other Photos you may enjoy:
Hairy Huntsman Spider