HYACINTH MACAW (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus) ©Teresa Burnett
- Native to central and eastern South America
- the Hyacinth Macaw, or Hyacinthine Macaw, is the largest macaw and the largest flying parrot species in the world
- the flightless Kakapo of New Zealand can outweigh it at up to 3.5 kg.
- In terms of length it is larger than any other species of parrot.
- While generally easily recognized, it can be confused with the far rarer and smaller Lear’s Macaw.
- Their popularity as pets has taken a heavy toll on their population in the wild.
Fact Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinth_Macaw
I have been fortunate to see Hyacinth macaws, Scarlet macaws, Blue and Yellow macaws and Red and Green macaws in the wild—in Peru and Brazil. I hope that some day you will see them in their native homes as well it is quite a magnificent experience.
Other photos you may enjoy:
Blue and Gold Macaw
Red and Green Macaw
Scarlet Macaw - this is a placeholder until I post a better photo of a Scarlet Macaw
I’m Keepin An Eye On You!! By Teresa Burnett