RED FAN PARROT or HAWKHEAD PARROT - (Deroptyus accipitrinus) ©xoticbirds.co.uk
- An unusual New World parrot hailing from the Amazon Rainforest. It is the only member of the genus Deroptyus.
- The Red-fan Parrot possesses elongated neck feathers that can be raised to form an elaborate fan, which greatly increases the bird’s apparent size, and is possibly used when threatened.
- It generally lives in undisturbed forest
- Red-fan Parrots, although not particularly common in aviculture are sometimes kept as aviary birds or companion parrots.
- Whilst juvenile birds tend to be docile, adults can be particularly ill-tempered, stubborn, unpredictable and strong-willed birds, showing extreme aggression towards humans and other birds housed with them
Fact Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-fan_Parrot