MALLOTUS SHIELD BUGS (Cantao ocellatus) - ©tiomanese/Yixiong Cai
- A Cantao ocellatus or Scutelleridae can be seen on low level area throughout the year.
- They are otherwise known as shield-backed bugs
- because bugs in this family are usually brightly coloured, they are also known as Jewel bugs (Source: Wikipedia).
- These insects feed on plant juices
- upon sensing danger, they exude a foul smelling substance from a pore on each side of their thorax to repel enemies, or predators. Because of this ability, they are sometimes referred to as Stink bug.
- These bugs often have symbiotic relationships with bacteria that aid the insect in the production of nutrients.
Fact Source: http://krizcpec.blogspot.com/2007/12/cantao-ocellatus.html
Other photos you may enjoy:
Elvis-faced Shield Bug
Red Cotton Stainer
Mating Festive Tiger Beetles
Mallotus shield bugs (Cantao ocellatus) | Singapore | +